Day 10 - May 30, 2009

Today began with a meeting with a representative from UNDP which works in tandem with UNRWA to assist Gazans. He noted that with the almost constant conflict in Palestine, there in a unique situation in that development has to take place in the midst of conflict, wherein normally development assistance would wait until after the crisis was over. He had a really good point that made me think - Palestinians aren't necessarily lacking food, income, or shelter (although most are), but they are lacking a voice both in the relief that they receive, and in the outside world. They essentially have lost all right to self-determination as they are given whatever aid the UN and other NGOs feel is necessary. He explained some new programs that the UNDP is working on to cultivate the skills and interests of Gazans, such as a micro-finance project for a man who had skills as a washing machine repairman which was within a few months turned into a very successful business.
We then met with a representative from a human rights centre (whose name I couldn't quite understand) who gave a brief overview of the human rights work being done in Palestine. She sighted that humanitarian aid organizations are generally stuck at the first level of intervention (ie. emergency services such as food and water) because the blockade prevents any supplies from coming in. She noted a sewage spill that happened a few years ago in a bedouin village in the north which killed six people, and the facility is now in a constant state of emergency repair because no supplies can be brought in to properly fix it, which caused another spill recently.
Afterwards we went to meet with women who had been imprisoned in Israeli jails, but on the way everyone on the bus was asked if they had O type blood as there was an emergency at the hospital and they had a shortage (I don't know how they found out about it). About 15 minutes later we were told that they didn't need us anymore, but some people wanted to go to the blood bank to donate anyways. I decided not to as I'm pretty sure this would jeopordize my ability to donate at home (although I would have forfeighted this for the emergency). In the end, only one person could donate due to low iron, low blood pressure, etc. I have to say though that part of me was glad I didn't attend the other event, as I think it simply would have been too hard - I didn't hear many details as people seemed reluctant to talk about them, but the experiences of the Palestinian women were horrific. They were raped, tortured, and some forced to watch as the soldiers applied strong electric shocks to their son's genitals. And this is a developed, respected nation?
After lunch (they eat meals very late here) we went very close to the Israeli border to plant trees (probably within about a kilometre from the border - the buffer zone where we can be shot at is 300 metres). There was a large balloon in the air which is used by Israel to spy on the Palestinians. I could see the outposts where snipers sit to shoot at people who come to close to the buffer zone, including farmers who are harvesting their crops. I could also see the tower from the airport that was destroyed eight years ago. It's really no wonder why Gaza is termed the world's largest jail.
The evening ended with free time which was spent chatting over the best milkshakes (yes, multiple!) and of course sheesha. Only one day left!

No comments:

Post a Comment