Day 7 - May 27, 2009

I've got two days missing which are on a friend's computer from the Canadian delegation which I'm waiting to be emailed to me - I will post as soon as I get them :)
Our day was completely packed, as we had to fit as much of the original 5 day schedule into 1 as possible. We began with a great breakfast of hummus and other snacks at the restaurant on top of the hotel overlooking the beach - absolutely breathtaking. We then went to meet again with Dr. Yusuf Musa at his office where he prepared a presentation of the health effects of the most recent attack. Most interestingly, he presented us with some statistics about the massacre's effect on children: 100% heard explosive sounds, 95% saw dead bodies, 80% of childred have suffered from some sort of PTSD, 72% have had related nightmares, 68% feel that their parents are unable to protect them, 45% have suffered from bed-wetting, and probably most devastatingly, 41% have lost hope in the future.
We then visited Al-Awda hospital where we were given a tour of their facilities, and got to see new born babies! :) The damage they suffered from the attack was minimal in that they had broken windows, however because of the siege they have been unable to get the materials in to replace them. They also have a brand new surgery room and intensive care unit, however they are on the top floor and the necessary elevator has been stick in Israel for over a year. Somehow, though, they have almost a 0% infant mortality rate (they specialize in deliveries, with an average of more than 10 babies per day in two delivery rooms).
Next we visited the Jabalia Camp, where hundreds of people live in tents after becoming homeless from the latest attack. A woman who lives next to the camp took us to her home. I was fortunate to have taped what the women told us, because I was crying so much that I had difficulty paying attention. There were bullet holes everywhere, and she told us how she found an unexploded bomb on her porch. The IDF stayed in her house for two days (of course without her permission) - they tried to leave and were told by the authorities to leave the area, but there was no safe place to go. Another woman told us that although she took all precautions, she had a miscarriage because she was exposed to the white phosphorous. I will post the video as soon as I am able to, because I really can't do this story justice by reiterating it in my own words.
On our way to Beit Lahiya we saw the American International School of Gaza - I have taken pictures but until I post them, a good picture can be found here http://deafwalls.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/american-school-in-gaza.jpg. We also saw fields and fields of destroyed farmland, as well as demolished factories, both of which were strategically targeted because they are part of the foundation of the Palestinian economy.
In Beit Layiha we met with the Alsmoni family, a now well known family as 31 members of their family were killed in the war. They were ordered to leave their house so that the IDF could stay there, and told to go to a house down the street where they were subsequently shot at. We met a father whose daughter was killed, and whose 3 month old son only survived because his mother was clutching him and took the impact of the demolished building they were in. We saw white phosphorous burns, disfigured faces, and children with no parents, and one child with no family left at all. Again, I have video of our talks with them. The most disturbing thing about this entire ordeal to me though was the writings left behind on the wall - they clearly spoke to the deep-seated hatred and racism that is omnipresent in this conflict. While I have taken pictures, I think that it's important that whoever is reading this to see them, and some can be found here: http://israeldemocracy.blogspot.com/2009/01/writings-of-israeli-soldiers-on-walls.html. Again, I cried.
Finally some happy times - we did a press conference to tell of our struggle at the border and what we had seen during the day. Afterwards we met with ISM, who told us of the struggles of Palestinian fishermen, who were told that they had 5km in which to fish, and then 3km, and are now being shot at as few as a few hundred metres away from shore. They also explained that Israel is attempting to create a wider "buffer zone" between the border and Palestine, wherein farmers are being shot at for attempting to harvest their crops. They told us of one man who was shot by a sniper at the end of the day as he was leaving with the other farmers to go home. Even with ISM escorts, they are still shot at. The blogs for ISM's work in these two areas can be found at fishingunderfire.blogspot.com and farmingunderfire.blogspot.com.
We then met with an incredibly interesting psychologist who explained the psychological effects the war and the continued occupation and siege have had on the citizens of Gaza. I wish I had written more details down, but I was so exhausted - pretty much, he was explaining how difficult it is to mend the pain and suffering the Palestinians have gone through so as to avoid this pain developing hatred and violence. He also spoke about how he believes that the unhealed pain of the Holocaust is partly fueling the violence (a cycle of violence, if you will), which I thought was fascinating.
An absolutely emotionally and physically exhausting day, but it was worth it to know that I can share what I have learned with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment