Day 29 - June 18, 2009

We spent the night at the Ein Gedi youth hostel which is in Israel proper, on the Dead Sea. Michelle and I attempted to go to Jericho yesterday, but after making it to Abu Dis and waiting in a service taxi for over an hour (as the taxi has to be full before it will leave), and having the driver ask us if we were married and / or looking more than a few times, we decided to head back to Jerusalem and take a bus to Ein Gedi to meet the boys. We immediately headed to the Dead Sea, and it HURT! I had so many mosquito bites, some still from Cairo and many from Tent of Nations (I counted 92 in total) but afterwards they felt great! The Dead Sea is so strange, we just bobbed around and I could "stand" straight up in the water and still be floating comfortably.
This morning we headed again down to the Dead Sea and then to Masada, where in 73 BC 960 Jewish rebels committed mass suicide as an alternative to being captured by the Romans and becoming slaves. It's atop a tall mountain, but Sascha and I were lazy and took the cable car up and down. As luck would have it, I took a huge fall as soon as I reached the top and badly scraped my knees and hands, something I haven't done since I was a child. Luckily, we weren't going to the Dead Sea again!
I am now staying again at Rebecca's, probably for at least another week. I will continue to update as I go with my new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment